If you are referred to hospital, please take a look at this online leaflet:
Please note that the hospital will be responsible for providing:
- Results to any tests or investigations that they have requested. Please do not make appointments with the GPs or contact reception for results of any hospital test.
- Answers to any questions you may have regarding the appointment or treatment you have received under their care.
- Sick notes for inpatient stays and surgical procedures, or any other condition for which they advise you take time off. The note should cover the time that you are in hospital, and any subsequent recovery time that they advise. Further notes can be issued at outpatient follow up clinics. You do not need to see your GP for these.
- Medication that needs to be started within a week of it being recommended. After that the GP will prescribe if appropriate.
- Medication that is for specialist-only prescription. Certain medication prescriptions can be transferred to the GPs' responsibililty once stable, but this requires liaison between the consultant and the GP and is not always appropriate.